Re: Wildcards - Downgrade HOLD to SELL

2005-05-07 01:43:10
--On Freitag, Mai 06, 2005 15:21:16 -0700 David MacQuigg <david_macquigg(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:
[...]
What are the benefits of wildcards, other than a smaller zone file?
Knowing what we do now, would wildcards be added to DNS?

They are necessary for some kinds of applications. I use wildcard A or CNAME RRs for some webservers that use the hostname for database searches. Another webserver use mass virtual hosting to serve locally mirrored websites, also with the use of wildcard RRs. A wildcard MX is a nice thing when you really wnat to get any mail, even those to constructed addresses (honeypot for early worm/spam detection).

For some applications they reduce the number of DNS modifications necessary. When allowing users to create new FQDNs for use in mail addresses, a wildcard MX can be a nice thing to have.

Ralf Döblitz