Re: People keep misunderstanding what "Pass" and "Neutral" mean (was: Time to start rejecting on neutral?)

2005-05-17 09:44:36
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 10:08:36AM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

SOFTFAIL is a relaxed result, and should be time limited.  I handle
SOFTFAIL by sending a DSN to the purported sender.  If there is
a mistake in their SPF record or mail config, the DSN helps them
fix it.  If it is a forgery, then the DSN nags them to work on
eliminating the SOFTFAIL - if they don't accept the DSN, I don't
accept the email (kind of a conditional CBV).  It is a real DSN
(null sender) so that if the alleged domain signs localparts (SES/SRS),
then forgeries are immediately detected.

Should the spec explicitly bless this behavior in any way, perhaps by
obliquely mentioning that in publishing a softfail result, a domain
owner is effectively soliciting these sorts of helpful, well-behaved
DSNs?

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com