RE: Declaring an Identity

2005-05-20 03:00:26

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of David
MacQuigg
Sent: vrijdag 20 mei 2005 10:03
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Declaring an Identity

  EHLO  mailserver7.bigforwarder.com
  ID  bigforwarder.com
  MAIL FROM: <bob(_at_)sales(_dot_)some-company(_dot_)com>

We're talking about a syntax that might be useful for SPF,
CSV, DomainKeys, etc.

1): The "ID" is not useful for SPF. SPF will use either the MAIL FROM
identity or the HELO name.

2): The "ID" is not useful for CSV, either. In CSV, an A record query will
be done against either:

    <EHLO-domain>.csv_vouch.maps.org (or whatever service)

Or an SRV query of format:

    _client._smtp.<EHLO-domain>

3): The "ID" is also not useful for DomainKeys, as you need to have
processed the entire message first before you can determine its validity.

All you know about the incoming mail is it's IP
address, the following two commands:

   EHLO  mailserver7.bigforwarder.com
   MAIL FROM:<bob-at-sales.some-company.com>

What do you do to avoid a DNS hunt?

Nothing. :) Seriously. There is a reason every AOL mail server announces
itself not with just "aol.com", but "imo-m21.mx.aol.com", etc. You cannot
simply shortcut their declared identity (nor, for that matter, can they
themselves just always bring it all under one denominator). If we just
follow the relevant identity already declared by the client (MAIL FROM /
HELO), then neither SPF, nor CSV, nor DomainKeys, is in need of anything
else.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---