Re: PermError in spf-01

2005-05-21 12:28:07
Scott Kitterman wrote:

  [that was me:]
draft-newton-maawg-sp-cosiderations-00
                        ^  ^
Okay, I buy an F and an N (only the latter is my keyboard ;-)

the Sendmail, Inc. implementation does this, but it's,
AFAICT, a MARID implementation including PRA and not an
SPF Classic impelementation.

The poster in spf-help said:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.help/2456>

| Authentication System: Sender Permitted From (SPF)
|    Result:             SPF data confirmed BAD
|                        SPF data cannot be confirmed
|    Reporting host:     sendmail.net
|    More information:   http://spf.pobox.com/

He had a similar result for Sender-ID with a pointer to MS.
It was rather tricky to find the problem, it was a broken SPF
policy still in the DNS cache of sendmail.net

It was a rather funny thread, near its end I said:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.help/2461>

| Old SPF implementations had a third strategy for an erroneous
| include, we're just discussing this on the spf-discuss list

6 articles from that poster (Steve), 3 from you, 3 from me.

It was also discussed in spf-devel with two persons trying
to implement SPF (no idea what the result is)

Two developers, the third was again fun:

Oops. and you also participated in this last thread.  That was
hardcore PermError-Schlitt-Evangelism on my side, it started
flat out with "don't believe a single word on POBOX, don't
trust the reference implemetation, it's broken".  Or similar.

And I also said (between the lines) that the SPF Council is
now defunct because they fail to update POBOX.  There must be
already hundreds of articles from dozens of posters saying the
same again and again and again until they do the smart thing
and look for greener pastures.  But I'm stubborn.  Bye, Frank