IPv6 with 'a' or do we need 'aaaa' ? (Was: Re: Sending mail from dynamic IP-addresses with dynamic PTR hostnames, but constant EHLO/HELO hostnames)

2005-05-26 00:07:52
On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 14:29 -0400, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
On 25/05/05, Bill Taroli <bill(_dot_)taroli(_at_)billsden(_dot_)org> wrote:
Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
<SNIP>

I got it, thanks! The SPF syntax page is very difficult to find, and
the description of what the SPF's 'a' directive does is somewhat
unclear, at least to me. Something like "the hostname that is
specified by the SPF's 'a' directive is resolved, and the resulting
IP-addresses are tested against the client IP-address [of the MTA]".
The keywords being here are "hostname is resolved". :-)

As of today, the page <URL:http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html#a> reads:

"All the A records for /domain/ are tested. If the client IP is found
among them, this mechanism matches."

<IPv6 whine mode>

But what about IPv6?

Either there has to be a identical 'aaaa' mechanism for doing IPv6 or
the 'a' mechanism gets redefined so that it requires apps to also check
for a valid IPv6 address. The latter is impossible because:

host.example.com/48 is IPv6, but what about host.example.com/24 IPv4 or
IPv6?

But the worst part, if you have any mechanism in the spf rule which is
not understood/supported by SPF the rule fails.

This leads people who require IPv6 to add a "~all" at the end, which
thus makes SPF quite, if not completely, useless.

Greets,
 Jeroen

(No closing tag indeed ;)

Read the whitepaper!  http://spf.pobox.com/whitepaper.pdf