Re: Re: bogusmx

2005-06-09 03:23:04
Hi,

No, "well-known host names" like mail, www, ftp, news, etc. at
least _were_ a sound strategy.  There's nothing wrong if your
smtpd says "EHLO mail.mehnle.net" and this is only a CNAME.

This is incorrect. The fqdn given as parameter to EHLO must be a
primary host name, not an alias:

RFC 2821, section 3.6
|    -  The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST BE either a primary
|       host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR) or, if the host
|       has no name, an address literal as described in section 4.1.1.1.

Yes right, but I see a high number of time some bloody bad configured
servers that sends mail with incorrect HELO with legitimate mails...

Main problems with that is that some administrators set a mail server and
doesn't know a word about rfc and what is needed to have a correctly setup
mail server.

I have a long time rejected mail when HELO was not a resolvable and I get
too much legitimate mail that have being rejected....

I some "bigs" can do such setup (eg aol, msn, yahoo) then this will
_force_ so dumb mail administrators to have a correctly configured mail
server...

But you know... This is a dream...

/Xavier