Re: bogusmx

2005-06-05 11:32:27
Julian Mehnle wrote:

You can assign an MX record to
look.mom.i.can.have.lots.of.sub.domains.org,
which is what I implied.

Sure, try look.mom.i.can.have.lots.of.sub.domains.claranet.de

über-long domain names aren't particularly useful doesn't
make them illegit, does it?

As long as you stay below 255 (or 253, whatever) it's fine.

CSV has its own ideas about less than one or more than six
dots, so in that case I'd study the CSV spec. before I'd try
this with CSV-protected HELO identities.  But for SPF there's
no -hm- additional problem with the number of dots in a HELO
or MAIL FROM domain.

Receivers just shouldn't be using blacklists with stupid
listing policies.

No idea why _other_ folks submit to bogusmx etc., I simply do
it when I have a serious technical problem, reasons irrelevant
(not limited to abuse).  In your case I'd guess that somebody
tried to reach you and couldn't because of this double CNAME
trick, AFAIK explicitly verboten in a RfC.

RFCI is about RfC ignorance, you're not forced to follow RfCs.
There are perfectly valid reasons to ignore RfCs, e.g. SpamCop
is listed.  I'm not sure about dcrocker.net, but I certainly
tried for 10 days to reach Dave by mail before I submitted it.

BTW, RFCI itself was also once listed for a day, because it
didn't accept mail to <postmaster>.  It was after a discussion
on the RFCI-list about exactly that point IIRC - I don't test
such stuff without a reason (in fact I tested the <postmaster>
bit exactly twice so far, both triggered by discussions).  Bye

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/detail.php?domain=rfc-ignorant.org&submitted=1076871050&table=postmaster