Re: CIVS Election now available for voting: SPF Project Community Vote: Official Project Domains

2005-06-28 05:59:02

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Julian Mehnle wrote:

William Leibzon wrote:
If I understand, the whole point of the election is to make a decision
on domain(s) are appropriate for the project by the public. In this case
it seems you have bypassed this system and made a rulling on particular
domain or domain set all by yourself.

Yes.

This is similar as to that you do not like say say email-spf set of
domains and decide to exclude them.

No.  I have not excluded the ccTLDs out of a personal dislike, but out of
an objective assessment that ccTLDs are not appropriate at this time.

A large percentage of registrars consider CCtlds domains to be appropriate
for registrations for even if not in CCtld country. That is exactly why they are selling them on global basis as way to allow those organizations
where their desired ".com/.net/.org" domain is taken to be able to get
global TLD domain of their choice.

I understand that you do not agree with this position, but that is your
personal opinion on this position and it should not be effecting entire
project.

I would have done the same if anyone had offered the domains sender-id.org
or goatse.cx.

That is exactly the point of where you're wrong! If people on the list wanted to choose sender-id.org as domain for spf project they should
have been allowed to do that even if you personally do not like it!

Note: sender-id is fairly bad example because we really can not choose
domain that is trademarked - so in this very special case because of potential legal danger it should in fact have been excluded. But if you change example to say super-id.org domain, that would be fine if people wanted to vote on it.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks