Re: Sender ID "embraces and extends" SPF, according to Microsoft

2005-07-08 10:34:24

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Julian Mehnle wrote:

Wayne Schlitt wrote:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5768498.html

    "We think this is great," said Samantha McManus, business strategy
    manager for Microsoft's technology care and safety group. "We're
    glad to see Sender ID's experimental status, and we think e-mail
    authentication is very important for addressing spam and
    phishing. That said, we definitely have more to do."

    Sender ID "embraces and extends" SPF, according to McManus,
    introducing more complex ways of tracking data about e-mail
    servers and senders.

At least they admit what they have done.

"Embrace and extend" is a well-known term in the computer world, and
everybody with a bit of clue will know why it is a bad thing, especially
if it is done by Microsoft.

So we should definitely quote them on that. Perhaps in a press release of
our own.

And whenever you quote it, don't forget to put a link to
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace_and_extend
(just as an explanation on what the term means, of course :)

And yes, I completely agree with your view that having this article
mentioned in appropriate context and circulated in appropriate circles
of web developers and company IT personnel managers might play in SPF
favor quite a bit.

BTW - here are couple "synonyms" for Embrace and Extend from above article:
 1. Embrace, extend and extinguish
 2. Copy, corrupt, copyright, circulate, control

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks