Re: ip4: ABNF Question...

2005-08-02 12:50:59
Scott Kitterman writes:
In an ip4 mechansim, are leading zeroes legal?  Should they be?
Results - PermError SPF Permanent Error: Invalid IP4 address:
ip4:192.168.050.0/24

Is that right?  Do we want that to be right?  I did some digging and was
unable to find a definitive RFC type answer.  In RFC 791:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0791.txt?number=791

RFC791 is about protocol bits.  192.168.050.0 and 192.168.50.0 would
be the same bits, just expressed as slightly different human-readable
forms.

However, by convention leading zeros aren't used, at least partly
because another convention says a leading 0 implies octal.  In a BIND
zone file, a leading 0 in an A record causes BIND to complain "not a
decimal dotted quad".

I would say don't allow them.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY