Re: possible changes to the SPF I-D during AUTH48

2005-08-11 10:20:12
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, wayne wrote:

  * ptr: shouldn't be counted in the process limits?  (%{p} isn't)

There is a cost to the first PTR, but subsequent PTR mechanisms are
CPU only.  The KISS aproximation for DOS limiting is to ignore it completely.
This has the nice side effect of also being consistent with not counting %{p}.

There is still the limit of considering only the first 10 PTR records
in the RR set.  Presumably, that applies to %{p} also.  There was some
disagreement over whether more that 10 PTRs for an IP should be a
PermError, or simply ignored (leading to inconsistent results depending
on which 10 an implementation picks).

  * the TXT and SPF RRs can get out of sync due to TTLs being different.
    Therefore, we should allow implementations to freely choose which
    record they want to use.

    * CNAME chains should be limited to 10 hops.  More than 10 hops
      should be treated as NX_DOMAIN or PermError to match whether
      more than 10 PTR, MX, or A RRs should be ignored or cause PermError.