Re: Re: possible changes to the SPF I-D during AUTH48

2005-08-14 16:58:00
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Frank Ellermann wrote:

On subsequent querys I get 8 CNAMES an no IP. My guess
is that the first query returns the data exactly as
received from the authoritative DNS-server, but the next
returns data from the local resolver cache.

So far I think Wayne and Stuart talk about different APIs,
Wayne is somewhere above the resolver, Stuart is inside of
it.  And your problem is again different.

The Windows resolver is correct (in this instance, anyway).  A resolver
includes additional records it thinks may be helpful - and CNAME chains
quality - but it is on a best effort basis, and only the immediate query
matches are quarranteed to be included.  Even when the A record
is included, it is not associated with the originally queried name.
The application must follow the CNAME chains starting with the original
name.  If all the records, including the final A record, were already in
the answer packet - great.  Otherwise, additional queries may be
recquired.