CNAME chain letters

2005-08-19 21:17:38
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, wayne wrote:

Then why are we giving PermError for other syntax errors and
things like bad includes?

Well, for two reasons:  First, it is a heck of a lot harder to
accidentally create a CNAME chain that is really long than it is to
accidentally type "ip:11.22.33.44" or "prt:foo.com".

adam.name       SPF "v=spf1 a mx ptr ?all"

Adam: hey Bill, I've got this nifty SPF record that works for almost
  any domain.  Just make a CNAME to use it!

bill.name       CNAME adam.name.

Bill: hey Carla!  Check out this easy SPF record!  Just CNAME it, and
it just works!

carla.name      CNAME bill.name.

Carla: hey Don!  You don't have to figure out that SPF stuff, just
CNAME my spf record!

don.name        CNAME carla.name.

zorro.name      CNAME yvette.name.

Zorro: hey Alpha!  Skip those SPF docs, just CNAME my record.

alpha.name      CNAME zorro.name.