Re: possible changes to the SPF I-D during AUTH48

2005-08-11 16:43:27
wayne wrote:

If you have, for example, 10 A records for a name, djbdns
will return a random selection of 8 of the 10.

Ugh.  Is this "working as designed" (= allowed) or a "bug" ?

 [redirect=neither-dot-nor-macro]
In the ABNF that I posted, this was "fixed" by adding a
comment.
[...]
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200507/0379.html

Unreadable, no idea why Web archives of mailing lists don't
use <pre>.  But I got the subject, with that I found one of
my own articles in this thread in a local "posted" folder,
there I found one of your Message-IDs in the References, and
with that I got a somewhat more readable...

<http://mid.gmane.org/x4br5a4ki2(_dot_)fsf_-_(_at_)footbone(_dot_)schlitt(_dot_)net>

...and adding "/raw" to the resulting URL is really readable:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.discuss/17728/raw>

Oh, yes, the <macro-var> idea is fine, it solves the _second_
problem.  I missed that in my reply:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spf.discuss/17729>

The _first_ problem is a hopeless case:  %{i} is a <macro-var>
and still bogus if it's used instead of <toplabel>.  Don't try
<unknown-mod-name> with a <prose-val>, that's dubious.

For imported terms a <prose-val> is fine, otherwise I hate it.
How about this:

  unknown-modifier = name "=" macro-string
                   ; a name not matching "redirect" or "exp"

Another idea:

  unknown-modifier = unknown-mod-name "=" macro-string
  unknown-mod-name = name  ; neither "redirect" nor "exp"

Waiting for 2234bis.

Somehow I doubt that the RFC editor will have *zero* other
comments on the draft.  Surely, they can't just be ignoring
it until this dependancy is resolved.

They have enough old I-Ds waiting in their queue.  Apparently
there will be a separate state "RFC-EDITOR" before "AUTH48".

I'm not sure why there is still a "IANA".  Even Received-SPF
made it already:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/perm-headers.html

                          Bye, Frank