No more xxxx=yes please (was: possibilities for 2822)

2005-08-18 22:26:30
Scott Kitterman wrote:

So, I think a series of small steps are in order.
From= would be a good first one.

If it's anything in the direction of yes (or no) it
should be an op=

Otherwise we'd get a zoo of individual modifiers,
all confronted with the same design problems:

1 - a policy without xxxx=yes is not the same as
    xxxx=no, it can be just an "old" policy

2 - implementations are free to ignore any xxxx=
    (excl. the special case redirect=), all "old"
    implementations will certainly ignore xxxx=.

3 - Multi xxxx=yes yyyy=no zzzz=1 are excessively
    verbose, op=xxxx.noyyyy.zzzz is much shorter,
    every byte counts for the UDP limit 512.

4 - It pisses me seriously off to repeat this about
    once per month... :-(
                           Bye, Frank

http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-spf-6-3-options-08.txt
http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-spf-6-3-options-08.xml