RE: Re: No more xxxx=yes please

2005-08-20 14:46:00
-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Ellermann [mailto:nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de]
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 4:41 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Re: No more xxxx=yes please

Yeah, do we want a framework for options, or is it a waste
of time, because so far all options (modulo pra) turned out
to be more or less irrelevant statements trying to dictate
receiver policy ?  Or their value was esoteric - I could
explain what "your" op=auth is supposed to do, but I don't
expect that a reputation service gets the idea, and that's
the only interested party in this case.

But if we'd find a really useful option, or if I'd decide
to publish op=pra for mainly political reasons, then using
this obscure "option framework" instead of repeating old
yes/no-debates makes sense.

OK.  I give.

Option framework it is.

op=from mumble something here.

Does it have value to give senders an option to say the from==mailfrom for
their domain so feel free to reject anything where from!=mailfrom if the
from is for their domain?

For heavily phished domains I think it would be worth it.  From a receiver
perspective I think it would be worth it to do some added checks on the 20%
of mail where from!=mailfrom.

I'd like to see if people this think is worthwhile.

Suggestions on syntax?

Scott K