status of the SPF I-D

2005-08-19 19:18:28

Just a note to let people know where the SPF I-D is in the RFC
processes.

After a little bit of email, the "waiting for IANA" flag has been
removed from the RFC-editor status page.  It is still waiting for the
2234bis (new ABNF) RFC.  However, I don't think either of these have
been the cause of any real delays in the real work that needs to be
done.

To the best of my knowledge, the RFC editors have not even looked at
the I-D and nothing will happen until they make their editorial
review.

At the IETF-63 meeting, the RFC editor presented some stats that show
that the median time for an I-D to be in the "editable" state is 11
weeks.  We have been waiting for only around 6 weeks.  More over,
since our I-D is an non-standard track, individual submission, we have
the very lowest priority.

As mentioned in a previous thread, I did talk about the non-editorial
changes that we might want to make to the draft.  These will need to
wait until the RFC editor sends us their reviewed copy of the I-D.
Then, we can nail down whatever changes we want to make, bounce them
off Ted Hardie to make sure that they changes aren't too significant,
and then send them off to the RFC editor.  At that point, I suspect we
will go back into the "editable" state, with another 11 week wait and
then maybe another round or so of changes.

If it makes anyone feel better, the SenderID I-Ds just recently (about
a week ago) got promoted from being in the "announcement sent" to "RFC
editor" states.  It only took a week for the SPF-classic I-D to go
from an announcement of IESG approval of the I-D proceeding to RFC
status to being accepted in the RFC editor's queue.

-wayne