RE: OT: SMTP pre-filter server

2005-08-22 09:04:22
Thanks, knowledge is always good (unless you're a Sith).

-------------------------------------
Mike Kelly
Systems Tech
Broadview Software Inc.
416-778-0623 x239
mkelly(_at_)broadviewsoftware(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Kitterman [mailto:spf2(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 11:18
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] OT: SMTP pre-filter server

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly, Michael [mailto:MKelly(_at_)BroadViewSoftware(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 11:10 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] OT: SMTP pre-filter server

This may be off topic, but as it was my quest for SPF compliancy
checking that started this, I am hoping I wont be breaking too many
rules posting this here.

Having encountered some disappointing limits to MS Exchange and our
filtering software for it, I have decided to look into building a SMTP
Pre-filtering server.

I have the hardware, but now I need suggestions for OS and
applications.

I am hoping for a Linux flavour for the OS, and POSTFix for the SMTP
server.

I would recommend subscribing to postfix-users and start reading there.
There's lots of good info on that list.  Warning - it's high volume.

If using POSTFix, would I need some sort of filtering add-on or
scripts?

Yes.  Postfix does not and will not natively support SPF.  If you look
in
the add-ons section of the Postfix web site, there are references to a
number of solutions.  Just as a warning, the goodness/badness of SPF has
been declared off-topic for postfix-users.  Asking how-to is OK (as long
as
you've already tried yourself, etc.), but don't ask why Postfix doesn't
support SPF natively.

Please keep in mind that all of this will be very new to me and while
expect a massive learning curve, simplicity is still desired.

Any suggestions will be seriously considered unless flamed in
subsequent
messages.

And just in case it isn't clear, I want a box that will receive the
initial foreign message perform all the checks to verify it is legit,
not spam, and not virus laden successfully before passing it on to our
primary SMTP server.

Postfix is a good tool for this with the add-on filtering/policy service
applications that are available.  IMO if you're exposing an Exchange box
directly to the internet, you are asking for it.

Scott K