Re: OT: SMTP pre-filter server

2005-08-22 12:23:43
On 8/22/2005 11:09, Kelly, Michael wrote:
I have the hardware, but now I need suggestions for OS and applications.

I am hoping for a Linux flavour for the OS, and POSTFix for the SMTP
server.

If you're going to run a Linux server I'll put in a plug for the Debian
distribution.  You may want to consider FreeBSD also instead of Linux.

while not quite as high performance a MTA as postfix, sendmail can check
spf via the use of milters (there are several and the authors hang about
here).  I've opted to check spf, not in sendmail, but in my mimedefang
filter, which is a little more expensive ram and cpu wise.  You might also
visit the Qmail and Exim camps and see what their view is also.

You may want to check out dspam for spam filtering (I'm pretty sure it
works with most MTA software, definitely works with Postfix).  One of its
main benefits is that it can be self managing (not require a lot of *your*
time after it's set up)

MIMEDefang is sendmail only I think and it works with Spamassassin.  My
experience with spamassassin, in general, is that it requires a fair
amount of tweaking to get optimal results.  You can think of MIMEDefang as
a meta anti-malware filter.  It (optionally) calls spamassassin and server
side antivirus (ClamAV) on incoming and outgoing mail and can add and
remove mail content (beware) on the fly.  It can also strip malicious
attachment's.  Using it will require learning a tad of Perl as that's what
the filter is written in.

Wade in, the water's deep and angry, but it's good surfing when the waves
are so high. :)

~Jason