Re: [spf-discuss] SPF and gateways

2005-09-23 05:13:33
Mark wrote:
I should rephrase this to: "... after your AV gateway has accepted the
message, and has sent it along to you, you can no longer REJECT it."

... unless the AV is checking and redelivering to you in synchronous
mode rather than store-and-forward.

While email has traditionally been the latter, I think there's a
case for change in default MTA behaviour (when used as forwarder
or content-filter).  Obviously fallback to store-and-forward would
still be needed.

It'd also address the forwarder -> content-tester issue, where
currently the forwarder gets stuck with an undeliverable[1] or faked
return-path for the bounce, when the content-tester rejects after
SMTP DATA.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

[1] Yes, sender-verification callouts.  We get them even so; I
suspect spammers are now creating temporary account-names.