Re: [spf-discuss] Dam Bounces

2005-10-02 13:43:06
I was experiencing the same feelings last year and it was ruining my day every time I looked at logs. As a solution I finally ended up editing my reject message to read something on the order of "No such user. Please implement SPF (http://spf.pobox.com) to avoid bouncing mail to spoofed senders". This didn't stop the spoofing (though it did cut down on it quite a bit) but what it really did was take away the frustration. Now when I see my logs it's kind of nice to think of spammers as advertising SPF for us... and I can get on with my other business without having that on my mind all the time.

--Kaas

----- Original Message ----- From: <administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:28 AM
Subject: [spf-discuss] Dam Bounces

I am getting really tired of these dam bounces from brain-dead servers. I
get over a thousand of these attempts for every real message. They appear
to be from legitimate background spam/virus filters. I have made several
observations, and I am wondering if anyone would like to speculate on the
mode of operation and what to do about it.

The bounce attempts are from many different servers and to many different
addresses. Some of the names (like the ones below) are used many times, but
some only a few times. I block all the ones below with a 501 error to try
and get the message across, but it is a losing battle. Every once in a
while a new name gets abused repeatedly and gets added to the list. For
example, the last three names were added to the block list this morning.
Juwan, Tony, Terrence, Dakotah, Shea, Ramiro, Robert, Everett, Derick,
martinson, strangled, paraphrasing, stipulates, europeanize, rigid,
differentiates, predicated, rapid, cartwheel, Keon, Arron, Gordon, Clint,
Jordan, Nickolas, Adan, Josue, assorts, rang, sapsucker, warships,
illumination, postulations, regulation, insinuate, Bucharest, Abdullah,
nymphomaniac, hard, prorated, hoariness, & exponentiated.
If only these brain-dead servers would check the SPF record, they would do
away with all this useless traffic.

J.A. Coutts