RE: [spf-discuss] Validity of macros?

2005-10-16 21:13:34
I am sorry... what is this??????????????

-----Original Message-----
From: wayne [mailto:wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net]
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:27 PM
To: SPF discussions
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Validity of macros?

In
<ec6804cf0510161802h18d4d220sa2fb4867b20b4681(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Andreas
Saurwein <saurwein(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

When doing a HELO check, for example the macros s, l, and o will not be
available, yet the spec does not exclude their use or suggest
alternatives.

Section 4.3.  "Initial Processing" says:

   If the <sender> has no localpart, substitute the string "postmaster"
   for the localpart.

This is further stated in Section 8.1.  "Macro definitions":

   The "s" macro expands to the <sender> argument.  It is an e-mail
   address with a localpart, an "@" character, and a domain.  The "l"
   macro expands to just the localpart.  The "o" macro expands to just
   the domain part.  Note that these values remain the same during
   recursive and chained evaluations due to "include" and/or "redirect".
   Note also that if the original <sender> had no localpart, the
   localpart was set to "postmaster" in initial processing (see
   Section 4.3).

At the other side, doing a MFROM check, must the h macro resolve? Is the
HELO data required for an MFROM check? Again the spec does not provide
guidelines for these cases.

Yes, the HELO data is required for both the "MAIL FROM" and "HELO"
identities, as is the IP address and all other macro variables.

You are right, the spec doesn't explicitly say this, but then, it
doesn't give an exception either.  I don't think you can spell out
every case.  (e.g. "Yes, you need to support the "i" macro even on
odd-numbered Tuesdays.")  Do you think this case really need to be
clarified?

Please let me know about any other problems or confusion with the
spec.  There will still be one last chance to fix any problems with
the spec before it is set in stone.

-wayne