RE: [spf-discuss] Univ of Mo, etc. discouraging SPF?

2005-10-25 14:48:58

John Dupuy wrote:

Here is the bad: they seem to be automatically rejecting
messages outright "soft fail".

REJECTing on 'softfail' is, as Frank already said, one of areas where
there is plenty of blame to go around. Surely, 'softfail' is NOT the same
as 'fail', and really should not be treated as such; but equally surely,
'softfail' is a published indicator of where you're headed: namely,
'fail'. Softfail says so much as: "I mean to say 'fail'. And if I were
already sure I included all my designated mailers, leaving nothing
unforeseen out, I would already ask you to 'fail'. For now, though, do not
actually 'fail' just yet, but assume that the IP address of the connecting
client is probably not authorized to use my domain." A receiver, of
course, might take the latter to mean: "Ok, so if you're pretty sure this
relay was not authorized, then that is good enough for me, and I will
fail." That's when the trouble starts. :)

we have many thousands of legacy customers, for a variety
of reasons, who are not on our IP ranges that send using
our domain.

'softfail' is really meant to indicate that you are basically only waiting
to see whether you perchance missed a spot, so to speak, and left some
designated mailer out that probably should have been included. If you
know, upfront, who will be sending using your domain, but have not
included those mailers, for whatever reasons, then you really should not
be using 'softail'. Because then you're saying: "These addresses are
likely NOT authorized," while you already know that they are. And that
is asking for trouble.

If you're just gathering statistics, as indicated, just use 'neutral'
instead.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---