Re: [spf-discuss] Does an SPF record need to be an IP?

2005-11-06 20:23:05
On 11/06/2005 22:12, Mark Holm wrote:
You know guys, this whole thread just points up again SPF's greatest
weakness: non-existent documentation!

Sure you have a rfc draft full of ABNF and other obtuse language.  Yes,
somebody writing an spf checking implementation is going to have to read
that.  But!

The ordinary Joe's that have to set up SPF records, install and
configure spf checking mail servers, straighten up their forwarding
situations, write and administer mailing list software, set up SRS, etc.
are getting exactly squat in the way of practical documentation.

Not one of the SPF record wizards has a FAQ that says, among other
things, "PTR is a last resort.  Use the other mechanisms if at all
possible.  If you do think you have to use PTR, make darned sure your
reverse DNS lookup is working correctly."

If I had the knowledge, I would have started writing it up a long time
ago.  I haven't, so I can't.  You that do have the knowledge have a
responsibility and you haven't even come close to fulfilling it yet.

Mark Holm
mdholm(_at_)telerama(_dot_)com

You are correct.

You should also remember that every single person who posts here on a regular
basis is doing this as a volunteer.  We are working on building a better web
site:

http://new.openspf.org/Sitemap

Work has just started and you can help.  Even if you don't have answers,
working on questions is a start.  If you're interested in helping us out,
join the webmaster mail list and ask how you can contribute:

http://new.openspf.org/Support

Scott K