Re: [spf-discuss] Does anyone actually filter by spf records?

2005-11-17 21:23:58
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Stever wrote:

However, when I send an email from an unrelated ip address (should
return a hard fail), it still happily gets accepted by Yahoo, Hotmail,
gmail, and aol. These emails should not even return in the email box?
What gives? I know these domains have spf records, but I am not sure if
their email servers actually CHECK other people's spf records and
filters by the rules of spf.

Anyone knows what's going on?

Big mail providers can't generally reject on SPF FAIL except with explicit user
permission.  This is because many users user have configured forwarders that
leave MFROM unchanged (don't rewrite MFROM).  At the very least, the user
would need to list all such forwarders on some web management screen with
the mail provider.  So even if the mail provider supports rejecting
on SPF FAIL, each recipient must specifically enable this so that they
can provide a list of trusted forwarders.