[spf-discuss] Re: SPF adoption statistics

2005-11-21 12:58:05
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

I can query DNS records, tabulate numbers, and generate charts, if I can
get a representative sample of domain names from say 10,000 messages.  It
would be best if I had several independent samples from different
mailflows, to answer questions about the quality of the sample, but we can
start with one good sample from your flow, and if the results are
interesting, we'll no doubt get others to contribute samples.  There may be
some significant differences between say Europe and the US.

All I need is a list showing (IP address, Helo name, Mailfrom name).  I can
do the rest.

This would be after the vast majority have been rejected due to obviously
forged HELO.  Is that still useful?

I will stick in a log option for all messages that make it to MFROM.

I will also be changing best guess to create a separate header to
keep Hector happy.  While his objection doesn't apply to internal mail
processing, it should be done if I want pymilter to be widely used.
Scott K also suggested using the keyword expansion for Received-SPF
instead of another header.  For instance:

Received-SPF: none (XXX) client-ip=194.182.148.158;
envelope-from=postmaster(_at_)mail-in1(_dot_)inet(_dot_)tele(_dot_)dk;
helo=mail-in1.inet.tele.dk; x-guess=pass

The other alternative I suggested was:

Received-SPF: none (XXX) client-ip=194.182.148.158;
envelope-from=postmaster(_at_)mail-in1(_dot_)inet(_dot_)tele(_dot_)dk;
helo=mail-in1.inet.tele.dk;

What do you think?  I will cross-post to list.