Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF adoption statistics

2005-11-24 10:16:26
Like I said, Mark, you are not normal.  When you reject domains with no TLD,
then are an highly exclusive, reclusive, pretty much closed system. In other
words, you are not a standard system.  You're a broken system.  You are not
part of the norm. :-)

http://www.santronics.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net>

What remains is RFC 2821, which dictates that you cannot use names
like "hdev1" for HELO/EHLO name. Period.

Yet, it still happens and that's only one form of an incorrect HELO.
There are many forms of getting an incorrect domain, even if its fully
qualified. Just like you showed above.

Yet you fail to grasp the distinction between types of HELO/EHLO errors
that are REJECTable, and others that are not. I would not REJECT your
"HELO hdev1.com", but would do so, immediately, for "HELO hdev1".

But overall, you fail the grasp the overall key issue here. It is under-
stood why you can't comprehend this rather detailed, system-wide orient-
ed thinking and its my fault to expect more of you. I don't blame you.
Really. SMTP authors have to write software that caters to people like
you.

You mean RFC compliant? :) Yes, please do.

Actually, you got it upside-down. It is because of people like you, who
refuse to spend a few hours to set up their system properly, that others
have to continue to make allowances for you. Not me, but others.

That happens a lot, actually. For instance, I used to be strict in
REJECTing mail to SRS recipients when the MAIL FROM was not <>. Because a
proper DSN should have an empty envelope-from. But so many folks kept
doing probes from a 'postmaster' address, that I finally relented and
allowed that, too. That is an accommodation I made, for people like you,
who really do not understand things properly. And, short of writing them
all, and setting them straight individually, I have to make certain
allowances. But would it not be nice, if one day people like you actually
decided to set things up properly, all RFC compliant and all? It is,
ultimately, pretty lame to have to depend on others turning a blind eye to
your mistakes.

One can say the "HDEV1" fails a syntax check since there is no TLD, but
what about "LocalHost"?

Same deal. My own systems may connect that way (they don't actually); but
not because I allow the HELO/EHLO, but simply because my own machines are
whitelisted (and thus exempt from any such checks).

If you apply a no TLD check, then you risk losing many end user software
and not just WINDOZE users.

Good. :) End users, with their home zombies, should not be sending me mail
anyway.

Apart from the -- in itself quite entertaining -- stream of personal
put-downs, I have yet to see you come up with any reasonable argument that
allows you to bypass the many "MUST NOT" and "MUST BE" requirements of RFC
2821 regarding your HELO/EHLO name. And how could you provide any such
argument, even? You know there are none.

But its all about your mindset.

Indeed.

A legitimate business won't reject on a
NO TLD format.

Don't hold your breath thinking that. :)

Because once we have a STRONG HELO system, the chain of trust email
security methodologies are now possible.

"Be the change you want to see in the world", Ghandi said. Change your
HELO today; and if everyone did so, then tomorrow the rogue HELO problem
would be solved.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---