Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF adoption statistics

2005-11-24 09:59:56
On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 04:36:04PM +0000, paddy wrote:

Jon Postel said it best

"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"

True, but 'be liberal in what you accept' does not mean 'accept everything'.

Also, when MUST, MUST NOT and friends were invented, this statement
was somewhat weakened.

Anyway, if an RFC says "for <x>, MUST NOT refuse", it does not say anything
about "<y>".  If other parts say "<y>" must be fully qualified domain name,
it is OK to refuse when '<y>' isn't.

Maybe the author of RFC821 got it wrong.  That could very well be,
it would not be the only error in RFC821 according to what I hear.
However, personally I think he just wants a certain person of his
back and just said "yes, you're right, sure, whatever you want".

Alex