Re: [spf-discuss] SPF setup and recursion

2005-12-21 10:46:12
there is suposed to be up to 10 dns queryes and there were probably some more
in previous includes.

I read the limit differently, although I personally prefer a stricter limit of 10 DNS queries.

The text of the draft says:

   SPF implementations MUST limit the number of mechanisms and modifiers
   that do DNS lookups to at most 10 per SPF check, including any
   lookups caused by the use of the "include" mechanism or the
   "redirect" modifier.

So, the limit is on the mechanisms and modifiers. Given that, the main paypal.com record has 5 (one mx and 4 include mechanisms), and the included records have 4 more include mechanisms. So, to process this quite ugly, nested record only gets 9 mechanisms that do DNS lookups.

--Marc