Re: [spf-discuss] Empty MX name

2006-01-03 01:57:28
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
mail.globalinkllc.com has no SPF record.  However, their weird MX could
happen to a domain that does.

Currently, pyspf gets temperror for an MX mechanism and an MX record
with an empty name like the above.

What should the correct result be?  Should the mechanism simply fail
to match?  Or permerror?

--Julian Mehnle <julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> wrote:
I think it should yield a PermError.

Legalistic reason: "MX 0 ." is illegal because "." is not a valid FQDN, at
least not for what is generally considered an FQDN by the SPF
specification.

Practical reason: There is obviously a DNS configuration error that will
not go away on its own (TempError), so the domain owner should be notified
ASAP (PermError), similar to a syntax error in the domain's SPF record.

FYI, I have seen "name MX 0 ." used before, as a signal that the domain name accepts no mail (even if it has an A record). The "smart" thing would probably be to treat it as "-all" if it's the primary domain being queried, but there are other ways that SPF could be "made smarter" that we haven't done in the past, because simple is usually better than smarter. (An example might be name MX 0 localhost; localhost A 127.0.0.1). For that matter, if we make SPF do something "smart" in this case, we then have to decide what happens in the case of +mx:my.isp.com if that becomes a not-for-email domain. I would probably suggest to not mention this special case in the spec and treat it like any MX record that points to a domain with no A records.

I believe "." is a perfectly valid domain name - it is the name of the root. (Try "dig . ns"). I also believe most resolver libraries will recognize "." as a valid domain that has no A records. But if a resolver mistakenly gives a DNS error instead, that would probably be OK too, for SPF's purposes.

If any SPF implementation scans MX records and removes the trailing "." from them, manually, before doing the A lookup, that's probably an error. MX records should come with "." at the end and that should be preserved. The dot at the end of a domain name is often dropped and usually optional, except for the root domain "." But resolvers know this and they should all do the right thing when . appears at the end, so shaving it off is an unnecessary step that leads to problems in this one case.