[spf-discuss] Re: aaaa ?

2006-01-11 13:53:21
Todd T. Fries wrote:

does 'a' work for 'aaaa' ?

Yes.  The SPF checker (receiver) has as its initial input
the IP of the client, and the HELO or MAIL FROM.  The IP is
either IPv4 or IPv6, for IPv6 it would take AAAA for "a",
after all it's trying to match IPs.

For details with IPv6 addresses actually representing IPv4
addresses see the spec., SPF gets it always automatically
right (if there's no bug in the implementation of course)

I put an 'a:' in my domain and occaid rejected my mail when
my mail server attempted to send to them using v6 ;-(

If there's no bug.  That's not new, IIRC it was specified in
May 2004 (?), but some SPF implementations are older.  Ask
them and / or post an example here on the SPF help list, hard
to guess what's going wrong, but it's _not_ in the SPF spec.:

We checked the spec. several times for hidden IPv6 oddities,
not one was found.
                     Bye, Frank