Re: [spf-discuss] aaaa ?

2006-01-11 14:50:58
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0601111635420(_dot_)2335-100000(_at_)bmsred(_dot_)bmsi(_dot_)com>
 "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com> writes:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, wayne wrote:

I put an 'a:' in my domain and occaid rejected my mail when my mail server
attempted to send to them using v6 ;-(

So, if you are connecting via IPv6, SPF implmentations are supposed to
look up AAAA records when they find an "a:" mechanism.  (Actually,
they also need to do that for "mx" too.)

If the SMTP server is listening on IPv4 only, this case will never come
up, correct?

Correct.

Therefore, the AAAA feature will be triggered when the connect ip is an
IPv6 address.

Yes, you only need to worry about AAAA records if you are dealing with
an IPv6 connection.

An IPv6 connection *may* still need to worry about A records, if the
IPv6 address is an, an IPv4-mapped IPv6 IP address (see [RFC3513]
section 2.5.5).  In which case, it MUST still be considered an IPv4
address.  Also the exists: mechanism only looks for A records, not
AAAA records, but in this case the record is not really being used as
an IP address, but rather, a flag.

So and SPF implementation can be completely ignorant of all IPv6
stuff, but all SPF implementations will need to deal with IPv4 stuff
in some cases.

-wayne