[spf-discuss] Re: [spf-webmasters] Re: spftools links invalid (spftools.net domain reregistered)

2006-01-29 08:02:58

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Julian Mehnle wrote:

From what I can gather this due to reregistration of domain spftools.net:
[...]

So redirection to non-working domain happens at his server (note entirely
sure as during debug I see instead redirection to old.spf.
infinitepenguins.net and this gives the ads [...].

old.spf.infinitepenguins.net has a CNAME to spftools.net.

Indeed. I clearly forgot to try another dig...

I think this needs to be fixed

It is of course a pity that spftools.net is gone, but _why_ exactly does it
need to be "fixed"?  And fixed _how_?

You're taking it slightly out of content. By fixed I was referring bad
redirection on infinitepenguins.... But clearly we can not do anything
as to spftools.net and its content unless James wants to help out.

and if anybody can get hold of James, it would be good if he changed his
system and if he can can not resurrect spf.infinitepenguins.net, then at
least get redirection changed to openspf.org website

You mean redirection of *spf*.infinitepenguins.net to the SPF website?  It
might be worthwhile.

Could you contact James about it?

I'll try, But he's probably just as likely to not notice my mail as yours...

About spftools.net domain - I guess anybody who has links to it, should
remove those links so we don't feed domain thieves.

Probably true.  There were no references to spftools.net on either the old
or the new SPF website, but I replaced some links to
http://www.infinitepenguins.net/SPF/ with links to
http://web.archive.org/web/<date>/spftools.infinitepenguins.net/ in r12 of
the old website.

I originally found the reference on spamlinks.net and it appears in a few
other places too - I'm hoping we can try first to get James to restore or redirect infinitepenguins.net/spf first. The actual domain spftools.net
is referenced a lot less, primarily from archives of various discussions
and forums. The direct references to it (as far as I could quickly track
down) are are at:
 www.libspf.org
 www.port25.com/domainkeys/
 www.wistful.net/spam.php
 spf.idimo.com/home.html   (spfhelp.org is also expired btw)
 http://www.mhavila.com/link/security/sec-email.html.en
It is also in Meng's whitepaper (available at openspf.org) but unless Meng is willing to make an update, I guess nothing can be done about that.

--
William Leibzon