[spf-discuss] RFC 4408 : HELO checking still just RECOMMENDED???

2006-04-06 10:53:03
From the soon to-be Experimental RFC:

  It is RECOMMENDED that SPF clients check not only check the "MAIL FROM"
  identity, but also separately check the "HELO" identity ....
  SPF clients MUST check the "MAIL FROM" identity.
  At the time of this writing, many otherwise legitimate E-Mails are
  delivered with invalid HELO domains.

As I and others have said before, the HELO check ought to be a MUST as
well.

What happened?  IIRC, it was made mandatory at some point.  Was the
change lost/in an offshoot draft and not incorporated/changed
back/wishful thinking?  Fixable?

It's also true that
  At the time of this writing, many otherwise legitimate E-Mails are
  delivered with an invalid "MAIL FROM".

Among other things, a mandatory HELO check greatly reduces the issue of
the forwarding problem.  Consider an email that passes the HELO check
but fails the MAIL FROM check due to a non-SRS-compliant forwarder...

Sorry if I missed the last discussion of this; I found nothing recent;
all I can find is support for such a change:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg04838.html

In a message with the Subject: "Re: [spf-discuss] authorization vs
authentication, HELO checking, header-from scope, exp i28n, Oh my!", On