Re: [spf-discuss] RFC 4408 : HELO checking still just RECOMMENDED???

2006-04-06 14:47:04

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Matthew Elvey wrote:

From the soon to-be Experimental RFC:

  It is RECOMMENDED that SPF clients check not only check the "MAIL FROM"
  identity, but also separately check the "HELO" identity ....
  SPF clients MUST check the "MAIL FROM" identity.
  At the time of this writing, many otherwise legitimate E-Mails are
  delivered with invalid HELO domains.

As I and others have said before, the HELO check ought to be a MUST as
well.

MUST does not match current deployment. Since SPF draft tries to document
how SPF is used right now, we can not change to MUST in v=spf1 spec.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks