[spf-discuss] Re: AUTH48 [EN]: RFC 4408 <draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02.txt> NOW AVAILABLE

2006-04-10 07:17:13
"Julian" == Julian Mehnle
"Re: AUTH48 [EN]: RFC 4408 <draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02.txt>
NOW AVAILABLE"
 Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:48:34 +0000

    Julian> John A. Martin wrote:
    >> [ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/authors/rfc4408.txt]
    >>
    >> Oxymoron: Section 2.1 First paragraph, last sentence:
    >>
    >> ... many legitimate E-Mails are delivered with invalid HELO
    >> domains.
    >>
    >> How can mails with invalid HELO domains be seen to be
    >> legitimate?
    >>
    >> If mails with invalid HELO domains are legitimate, why bother
    >> looking at HELO domains at all?

    Julian> The term "legitimate E-Mails" refers to the message's
    Julian> content and the fact of it being sent by the sender at
    Julian> hand to the recipient at hand.  (It is a matter of
    Julian> controversy whether the legitimacy of e-mails can at all
    Julian> be degraded by improper use of technical infrastructure.
    Julian> Personally I agree with you that this kind of
    Julian> technological nihilism isn't very helpful.)

    >> Proposed change: add the word "otherwise" thus:
    >>
    >> ... many otherwise legitimate E-Mails are delivered with
    >> invalid HELO domains.

    Julian> I am not against this change, in fact I think it is a wise
    Julian> wording.  However I'm not convinced that making a third
    Julian> round of last-minute changes can be justified by such a
    Julian> minor issue.

    Julian> I dimly recall you having proposed this change before.  If
    Julian> that is the case, I apologize for not having adopted it
    Julian> for the first two batches of changes.  Should the serious
    Julian> need for another round arise, we'll probably include it.

About a week ago I think I saw a draft incorporating the "otherwise
legitimate" change.  Its as if it appeared at
<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/authors/rfc4408.txt> then disappeared.  I
see no trace of it now.  I could be mistaken.

        jam