Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Is this SPF record valid

2006-05-11 15:19:47
Julian Mehnle wrote:

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
In no way does "lax" mode transmute a permerror into a pass.  The only
thing "lax" mode heuristics do is change the local policy as to
whether to accept a message with SPF permerror.  I add my own
"X-Guessed-SPF" header to record the result of the heuristics.
Fair enough, but how likely is it that the postmaster has checked the SPF record for /non-basic/ correctness if he hasn't checked it for /basic/ correctness? Are you going to second-guess him on "ipv4:1.2.3.4" and
"a:1.2.3.4" issues as well? </devils-advocate>
These are heuristics, which means they get tweaked when needed to get legitimate mail delivered. They are never complete or "correct" by definition. I already second guess him and assume that he meant "ip4" when "ipv4" is used. I haven't had the need to translate a:<numeric_ip> to ip4 - but it is feasible - and in fact I just added it to CVS. In the code, the pattern is to check for a common mistake, call note_error to record an official PermError result with a diagnostic tailored to the mistake, then correct the mistake and continue processing to compute the "guessed" result. For instance, the a -> ip4 code I just added looks like this:

               if m == 'a' and RE_IP4.match(arg):
x = self.note_error('Use the ip4 mechanism for ip4 addresses',mech)
                 m = 'ip4'

Even when 'lax' mode (accept messages with permerror when a "corrected" policy yields pass) is not active, the tailored diagnostics for the PermError are a win.