Re: [spf-discuss] Is this SPF record valid

2006-05-04 15:34:09

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 05:25:02PM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

I can see a LAX mode feature where in case of a PERMERROR, it might
try concatenating substrings *with* a space as one of the heuristics
to guess what was meant (after sending a DSN with the diagnostic, of
course).

By allowing these kind of errors to exist in stead of being repaired,
I'm affraid eventually we end up in a situation where this relaxed
mode is no longer a workaround but rather a defacto standard.

Yes, YOU talk about sending DSNs, but the average person on the net
stops reading after "meant" (because they don't understand the rest,
don't like the rest, or both at the same time).

But there's more:

"v=spf1
ip4:209.10.78.213
ip4:209.11.34.214
ip4:209.10.169.57
ip4:170.224.107.71
a:mailer.communityconnect.com      equals ip4:209.11.34.214
a:mail.communityconnect.com        equals ip4:209.10.169.57
a:mailer2.communityconnect.com     equals ip4:170.224.107.71
~all"

All those "a" kind of entries in this SPF record are a complete waste
of resources.

Unless the IP actually DOES can change for the mail server, read on...
As long as this happens, we have a long way to go because this is a
clear indication that people still don't understand what they are doing.

No, its not.  It can be an indication that the domain owner recognizes that:
1) currently the IP for their mail server is static, so they can save you a DNS lookup by giving an IP ref 2) the IP for their mail server might change e.g. in an ISP outage and they cutover the mail server to their redundant connection

Alex

Terry Fielder
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
Fax: (416) 441-9085