[spf-discuss] Finishing the website transition

2006-06-20 11:54:17

[Please follow up to spf-webmasters unless you are deliberately straying
from the topic of website issues!]

Hi all,

let's try to finally finish the website transition.

I started from the old site's sitemap...

  http://www.openspf.org/sitemap.html

...and marked those pages as "done" that have already been superceded by
pages on the new website.

The following list shows the remaining pages and the places where I think
their content should go (after being reviewed).  Top priority first.  The
essentials are what, in my opinion, needs to be finished before we can
switch http://www.openspf.org to http://old.openspf.org, and http://new.
openspf.org to http://www.openspf.org.

Please send your comments!

!NOTE!  We also need people actually _working_ on these items, so if you
are willing to contribute, please indicate on what items you'd like to
work.  (Personally, I'm going to work on the essentials, especially on the
"why" page and the wizard, because they require the writing of a website
module.)

==== Essentials ====

  * SPF for Management: Executive Summary
    http://www.openspf.org/execsumm.html
    -> "SPF Executive Summary" or "SPF Overview"

  * Media Inquiries
    http://www.openspf.org/media.html
    -> "Contact Us"

  * Why did SPF cause my mail to be rejected?
    http://www.openspf.org/why.html
    -> "Analyze" or "Explanation" or ...?  (remember the page explains
       (and SHOULD explain) non-rejections, too!)
       backend logic needs to be rewritten (will probably use
       Mail::SPF::Query for now, Mail::SPF later)

  * The SPF Setup Wizard
    http://www.openspf.org/wizard.html
    -> "Record Wizard", but backend logic needs to be rewritten
       (will probably use Mail::SPF::Query for now, Mail::SPF later)

  * SPF Contributors
    http://www.openspf.org/donations.html
    -> move acknowledgements to "About Us" page (preferred) or to separate
       "Contributors" page?

==== Non-essentials ====

- ---- Publishing aids ----

  * SPF for Sysadmins: Implementation
    http://www.openspf.org/forsysadmins.html
    -> merge with "Setting Up SPF DNS Records" (see below) into new
       "Publishing" page

  * Setting Up SPF DNS Records
    http://www.openspf.org/dns.html
    -> new "Publishing" page

  * Macros
    http://www.openspf.org/macros.html
    -> "SPF Record Syntax/Macros", but rewrite it to be more comprehensible
       for domain owners than a mere transcript from the spec

  * Extension Modifiers
    http://www.openspf.org/extensions.html
    -> it really just discusses the non-standard "report=" modifier, so it
       should probably be dropped

- ---- Miscellaneous things of major importance ----

  * Logos: Protected By SPF
    http://www.openspf.org/protectedbyspf.html
    -> "Logos"

  * To-Do and Patent Issues
    http://www.openspf.org/misc.html
    -> drop TODO stuff, rest -> new "Intellectual Property" page

- ---- Best practices ----

  * SRS: Sender Rewriting Scheme
    http://www.openspf.org/srs.html
    -> do we need a dedicated page for SRS or is it enough to have a
       "Forwarding" page describing the various solutions (including SRS)
       and linking to the SRS website <http://www.libsrs2.org/docs/>?
       (there ARE some interesting diagrams and illustrations about SRS
       that might be worthwhile to preserve (on the SPF website or on the
       SRS website), though, see below)

  * Adoption Strategy: a Two-Phase Rollout
    http://www.openspf.org/adoption.html
    -> "Best Practices" overview or "Adopting" page, leading to (sub)pages
       for the various perspectives: domain owners, ESPs, forwarders,
       users?

  * Advice for Email Service Providers
    http://www.openspf.org/esps.html
    -> "Best Practices/ESPs"

  * Users need to start using SASL
    http://www.openspf.org/saslconversion.html
    -> "Best Practices/ESPs"

  * Advice for Web Generated Emailers
    http://www.openspf.org/webgenerated.html
    -> "Best Practices/Web Agents"(?)

  * Received-SPF: a new header
    http://www.openspf.org/newheader.html
    -> move relevant parts to "Best Practices/End Users", refer to spec
       for details

- ---- Understanding SPF ----

  * Objections
    http://www.openspf.org/objections.html
    -> "Objections" or "FAQ/..."

  * Mailflows
    http://www.openspf.org/mailflows.html
    -> "The Big Picture" (no pun intended)

  * Problems with the Current Email Model
    http://www.openspf.org/problem.html
    -> "The Big Picture" (together with Mailflows from above)

  * 2 Dimensions
    http://www.openspf.org/2dimensions.html
    -> link to image from TBD "Vision" page?

- ---- Miscellaneous things of minor importance ----

  * MIT Spam Conference Handout
    http://www.openspf.org/for-mit-spam-conference.html
    -> PDF should be re-edited(!) -> "Advocacy Material" or ... page?

  * Developer's Guide
    http://www.openspf.org/developers-guide.html
    -> "Non-standard Extensions" or "Extensions"?
       drop "best-guess" item (I think it's harmful!)

- ---- Odds'n'ends (drop or merge into other pages) ----

  * What SPF does
    http://www.openspf.org/whatdoes.html
    -> should be covered well enough by the other existing or TBD pages,
       so should probably be dropped!  (redirect to "Introduction" or
       front page so bookmarks/links will still work)

  * SPF for Users: How it works
    http://www.openspf.org/users.html
    -> should be covered by the new "Introduction" page, so redirect there

  * RMX and DMP compared
    http://www.openspf.org/dmpvsrmx.html
    -> "History/..." or drop!

  * How SPF Helps
    http://www.openspf.org/howithelps.html
    -> drop

  * SPF Certification
    http://www.openspf.org/certification.html
    -> drop, except for certification of implementations, which we should
       do as soon as the new test suite is done

  * SRS Details
    http://www.openspf.org/srspng.html
    -> should probably be outsourced to the SRS website

  * SRS for Email Forwarders
    http://www.openspf.org/emailfwdpng.html
    -> should probably be outsourced to the SRS website,
       adopt parts for new "Forwarding" page

  * MARID backgrounders
    http://www.openspf.org/marid/index.html
    -> images/PDFs should be archived in