Re: [spf-discuss] spf checks at MTA useless because of neutral records

2006-07-31 06:45:31
We hacked the spf-postfix.pl policy daemon to allow us to specify *which* domains we reject softfails for

  my %override_softfail = (
        'hotmail.com'=>1,
        );

elsif ($result eq "softfail" && $override_softfail{$domain}) { return "REJECT $smtp_comment"; }

compliance aside, we have basically been put on notice by hotmail that the next ban on our IP would be permanent and it was all backscatter from forged hotmail addresses that was causing the problem. So it wasn't much of a decision.

Problem has been stable since then.

-mark

Ramprasad wrote:
We process a large number of emails ( upto 3 million a day ) on a load
balanced array of servers for spam checking

The maximum number of spams we receive are from ( in sorted order ) from
singular domains in the envelope sender 1) earthlink.net
2) hotmail.com
3) yahoo.com
4) netzero.com of these hotmail and netzero have SPF records. I have enabled spf policyd in postfix. But that is giving me no benefit because all these big domains publish neutral records
So what is the point in doing spf checks at the MTA.  I would better do
them at spamassassin and use them for scoring
Or can I configure policyd to reject SPF_NEUTRAL for hotmail.com.
How can that be done, ( what about non compliance to SPF )

Thanks
Ram

Mark Jeftovic <markjr(_at_)easydns(_dot_)com>
Founder & President, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
ph. +1-(416)-535-8672 ext 225
fx. +1-(866) 273-2892