[spf-discuss] Re: RFC 4409

2006-09-14 14:35:19
Scott Kitterman wrote:

I don't like this.  I like what it says in 6.1/6.2 better.

Me too, but there can be constellations where the "MAY add" in
2476 / 4409 makes sense.  E.g. if the mail already passed the
"enforced submission rights" test in 6.1 (and was rejected if
that failed).

For the issue at hand (4409 to STD) I hope it's allowed to add
the missing Resent-* case.  Replacing it by "MAY reject" could
end up in a reset to "proposed standard".

If the MUA didn't address the message correctly, give it back
to the MUA/author to fix.  Don't guess.

No guessing, 8.1 talks about a _known_ identity, otherwise it's
not applicable.  The actual text starting with the 8 intro is:

| Sites MAY modify submissions to ensure compliance with
| standards and site policy.  This section describes a number
| of such modifications that are often considered useful.

| NOTE:  As a matter of guidance for local decisions to
| implement message modification, a paramount rule is to limit
| such actions to remedies for specific problems that have
| clear solutions.

[...]

| 8.1.  Add 'Sender'

| The MSA MAY add or replace the 'Sender' field, if the
| identity of the sender is known and this is not given in the
| 'From' field.

I've skipped an example in the intro, it's unrelated to 8.1,

As it is I think that 8.1 is obviously buggy, and fixing minor
errors should be allowed in this "standards process" business.
Of course I can't tell for sure, I never tested it before. :-)

The pre-conditions for 8.1 are "compliance with site policy"
and "clear solutions".  No wiggle room for "guessing".  For
the "compliance with standards" mentioning the Resent- cases
explicitly could make sense.

2476 is older than 2822, for 822 with at most one Resent-block
it's obvious how to get it right.  For 2822 it's less obvious.

In a perfect world the SenderID folks would be obliged to fix
this, and I could do what I really want, post an I-D declaring
this Resent-nonsense as obsolete.

Frank