Re: [spf-discuss] Question...

2006-09-22 09:04:11
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)62(_dot_)0609220733090(_dot_)22271(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
 "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> writes:

[Forwarded with permission of the original sender, please CC him in the
answer]

Will they see the reply?

Hello, can You please tell me, when SPF is leaving the state of
experimental?

As far as I, and many others, are concerned, SPF left the experimental
stage years ago.

As far as getting an SPF RFC through the IETF with the label of
"standard", I seriously doubt that will ever happen.  You see, the
IETF has a huge problem with getting RFCs to the "standard" level.  At
the rate things are going, it will be another 10-20 years before there
is a "standard" level replacement for the now 15 year old email RFCs
(RFC821 and RFC822).

If you mean "an RFC published by the IETF that is on the first stage
of the standard track", it will be a minimum of 2 years because the
IAB (part of the IETF) said so.  However, I have my doubts that it
will ever happen.  SPF is far too controversial and it doesn't take
many loud voices to claim that there isn't "rough consensus".  There
isn't even an experiemental RFC for DNSBLs.  Even less controvsial
spam-related protocols such as those used by DCC and Razor don't have
RFCs. Also remember that the W3C broke off from the IETF because too
many people were upset that HTTP was replacing the "technically
better" gopher.

The fact that many effect, widely used and well thought out protocols
don't have standard-track RFCs is a problem with the IETF, not with
SPF in particular.  Basically, in order to get a standard-track RFC,
the protocol must be 1) boring, 2) backed by large vendors and 3)
backed by long time and well liked IETF insiders.

I think it is probably worth while giving SPF another try after the 2
year waiting period has run out.  The SPF RFC *was* improved by going
through the IETF process, and even if we ended up with another
experiemental RFC, it would be better than not going through the IETF.

This, of course, is all my opinion and I'm sure others in the SPF
(and IETF) communities will have different opinions.

-wayne