[spf-discuss] Re: SPF not strictly "opt-in"

2006-10-16 04:53:18
Julian Mehnle wrote:

SPF is not strictly backwards-compatible in this case.
However, their behavior is really brain-dead

All I found about this case of "receiver policy" is that:

| RFC1123          SUPPORT SERVICES -- DOMAINS       October 1989
|
| 6.1.3.5  Extensibility
|
|   DNS software MUST support all well-known, class-independent
|   formats [DNS:2], and SHOULD be written to minimize the
|   trauma associated with the introduction of new well-known
|   types and local experimentation with non-standard types.

[DNS:2] is RFC 1035, its chapter 3.3 is "standard RRs", and
its chapter 3.3.14 is "TXT-RDATA format".  Maybe they're free
to ignore queries for TXT, and the receiver is free to handle
that DNS TempError as SMTP TempError.

Frank