[spf-discuss] SPF records have more than doubled in the last year

2006-10-23 16:20:09

fyi;

In conjunction with the news of MS releasing the SenderID patents, I
submitted the following story to slashdot:

Microsoft has now put the SenderID patents under the OSP[1].  The Open
Specification Promise was discussed on slashdot before in conjunction
to web services[2] and it is good to see that they are opening up even
more.  There are still <a technical problems with SenderID compared
with SPF[3] and, of course, SPF isn't problem free.  Still, over the
last year, the number of SPF records has more than doubled from around
1.7 million to 4.1 million, with rate of growth increased in the last
6 months.

[1] http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061023/sfm078.html?.v=67
[2] http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/12/2159212
[3] http://new.openspf.org/SPF_vs_Sender_ID

I dunno if this story will be published or not.  If it does, I'll try
to remember to post a URL to it.

In the press release, there is a link to MarkMonitor with some data on
the publication of SPF records in the .com, .net and .org domains.
See: http://204.228.234.121/SPF/spfReport.htm?spfReportId=6

The data from a year ago comes from the last survey that I did, the
earliest data that they show is from Apr this year.  From the 6 months
from Nov 2005 to Apr 2006, the number of SPF records grew by a factor
of 1.35.  In the 6 months from Apr to Oct, it grew by a factor of
1.80.  So, for the last year, it grew by a factor of 2.45.  Not too
bad!

-wayne