Re: [spf-discuss] SPF queries by a newbie

2006-11-13 18:20:59
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:54:42 +0000 Jon Grant <jg(_at_)jguk(_dot_)org> wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean give up. I was trying to make an observation that a
spammer will comply with SPF if it helps him get his spam through the
system...

SPF will only help the spammer get through if receivers don't think this
through.  Not forged != Not spam.  Forged ~= Spam.  SPF helps get bad
messages out of the system.  It is also useful to put black/white listing
on a reliable name basis.

Early on many people missed the above concepts and let SPF Pass messages
skip spam filtering.  Thus spammers adopted SPF and quickly cured them of
that notion.  I don't think receivers whitelist based just on an SPF Pass
anymore.  It takes SPF Pass and a list of good domains.

Scott K