Re: [spf-discuss] RPF explanation and examples

2006-11-15 08:10:35
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Jason LEWIS wrote:

Doesn't mean that my 3rd party imap provider knows nothing about my
local mailbox?  How would RPF change that, or would I modify my ISP's
DNS zone for them?  I suspect that the 3rd party would jump on something
similar to sendmail's access file before they start implementing a new
protocol, as all MTAs support something like that.

A 3rd party imap provider *is* your "local" mailbox.

The sendmail access file requires you to call the imap provider and
speak to a tech support person, who then manually makes the changes
to the file.  Very very expensive.   Sendmail access file is appropriate if you
are running your own mailbox.

Yes, you would modify your DNS zone.  DNS providers already provider
friendly web interfaces for editing DNS data.  Please note, the
assumption here is that you own and run your own domain.  If you are
outsourcing everything to an ISP who is also your DNS, imap/pop server,
SMTP relay, web proxy, you name it, then RPF is irrelevant.  The
ISP manages everything for you - for better or worse.

RPF is for a small domain owner who wants to outsource imap/pop
with an automated method of communicating receiver policy to the
imap/pop provider.  A webapp would also work, and would be slightly
more efficient for large mail volumes (since policies would be stored
internally), but requires a significant development effort.