Re: [spf-discuss] RFC 4408 Bug - Makes no sense to require Mail From check if HELO check FAILs

2007-02-05 14:26:00
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:

There is no benifit to checking MAIL FROM after a HELO fail if the receiver
policy is to reject on HELO FAIL.  I think that last sentence would have been
much better if it said:

I disagree. This is a receiver policy.  It is perfectly possible that
HELO fails and MAIL FROM passes.  MAIL FROM should get priority in that
case.  For instance, the HELO domain may have a screwed up SQL, recently
have changed IPs.  Or the MAIL FROM policy can say "+ptr:bigisp.com", and
bigisp.com uses "bigisp.com" as HELO on every MTA used for customers,
despite only authorizing MTAs used for company mail.  (I.e. they
forgot SPF is checked for HELO.)