Re: [spf-discuss] New SPF library

2007-03-15 08:55:43
On Thu 15 Mar 2007 12:23:45 Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Thursday 15 March 2007 10:58, Roberto Alsina wrote:
Hello,

I am starting to advertise more widely RaSPF, my SPF library.

It's sort of a C version of PySPF.

You can find more info about it at http://raspf.blogsite.org.

While it's not strictly compliant, it's pretty close (It fails only the
exp-syntax-error and require-valid-helo tests.)

Also, if the webmasters of www.openspf.org can add it to the
implementations page, that'd be nice!

Best regards,

I will add it when I get a few minutes if no one else does first.

I took a quick look at your SVN with an eye to licensing/distributing
questions.  I think you should spend a few minutes thinking about the
licensing for your project.

First, IANAL, so this is probably all wrong, but here I go....

pyspf is licensed under the Python software foundation license and you have
carried that forward.  excc is GPL v2.  hash is under the BSD license.
udns is LGPL.  bstrlib is also BSD.

From what I know about it, PSL, BSD, and LGPL code can be linked against
each other with no problems.  I am uncertain (and don't know enough about C
to have an opinion either way) if your use of excc intermingles GPL and
non-GPL code in an unacceptable way.

Grmbl... yes, that is right. The use of excc is making everything GPL right
now.

I would suggest you look into this and make sure you have things the way
you want.  If I were to hazard a non-lawyer guess, if you use excc you will
have to license the package as a whole under GPL (which I think you can
do).

AFAIK, right now this is not really a problem. My own RaSPF code is under
Python license, and the whole is GPL. I will se what I can do to make it stay
under a more liberal license (even if it means replacing excc).

--
 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina
 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina(_at_)kde(_dot_)org

by definition, not smart enough to debug it. --Brian W. Kernighan