[spf-discuss] Errata

2007-03-24 23:17:12
Hi, I think some errata are ready for approval by the SPF Council:

--- 1 ---
http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#add-v-macro
"Add %v macro to AQBNF grammar"

Confirmed by Wayne, but just in case the Council could also
approve it.

--- 2 ---
http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#undefined-uric-set
"undefined uric set"

Ditto, please check that <unreserved> is okay.

--- 3 ---
http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#greedy-unknown
"unknown modifier is too greedy"

Some discussion on the list, but I think the consenus is
clear (or at worst "rough").  If you want an SPF Comunity
poll or more time please say so, otherwise I'll submit it
to the Council for approval.

--- 4 ---
http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#received-spf-bad-examples
"Received-SPF examples use incorrect syntax"

Wayne argued that it could be also the opposite, correct examples
have a bad ABNF.  But we found no way to fix it based on this
theory, we'd end up with new ABNF _and_ new examples.  Therefore
it's IMO KISS to fix the examples and be done with it.  The ABNF
is now about a year old, there are fresh SPF implementations, it
would be annoying to break these implementations.

Do we have a "rough consensus" overruling Wayne ?  AFAIK Meng
never commented any real or wannabe-errata.

--- 5 ---
http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#permerror-smtp-reply-code
"Recommend an SMTP reply code for optional PermError rejections"

Actually that was already decided by a prior Council, but Wayne
then didn't add the missing reply code to the spec. again.  The
minutes (plus resolution) for this Council meeting don't exist
yet, but I could dig through the IRC logs if anybody wants to
know the bloody details.

As above, if you want more time to think about it or discuss it
just say so, if the errata are approved or rejected before 2008
it's good enough.  But I'd like to finish the simple cases.

Frank