[spf-discuss] Re: TENBOX/E as an AUTH type

2007-04-01 08:53:44
Michael Deutschmann wrote:

"This feature was intended so that a SMTP client could authenticate
 *itself* to another {using the ordinary AUTH command}, yet indicate
 that a given mail's origins were either not authenticated or
 authenticated to be from somebody else {using the AUTH= argument
 to MAIL FROM:}"

Yes, thanks, I missed the "yet..." part.

it's good for our purpose that AUTH= is per message, since this would
allow a forwarder MTA to collect messages which need different TENBOX
tokens attached and send them all in a single connection.

What's a "TENBOX token" ?  In the AUTH RFC the AUTH= parameter value is
an <addr-spec>.  2554bis fixes that to a <Mailbox> as secified in 2821,
eliminating the optional CFWS (comments, folding, white space) in 2822.

 [SMTP extension]
# Each service extension registered with the IANA must be defined in
# a formal standards-track or IESG-approved experimental protocol
# document.

Right, no SMTP extensions by independent submissions directly to the
RFC editor, or in other informational RFCs.

 [SASL mechanisms]
# SASL mechanism name (or prefix for the family):
# Security considerations:
# Published specification (recommended):
# Person & email address to contact for further information:
# Intended usage:
# Owner/Change controller:

I've never looked at that one before, no expert review, first come -
first served, no RFC required.  RFC 4422 let's IANA decide what they
like or don't like.  Outrageous.  Until today I thought that it's a
no-nonsense registry maintained by the SASL WG... :-(

for ESMTP it seems one must submit to the RFC sausage-machine to
bag a keyword.

At least that guarantees that there is a proper spec. (like 4405).
For the SASL registry it's only coincidence that nobody submitted
ROT13-LOGIN with "intended use: common" so far.

Well, you can apparently turn SPF PASS into a SASL mechanism if
that's what you really want.  RFC 4422 recommends (lower case) an
I-D and public review.  There are some simple "xml2rfc" examples
in the openspf repository, maybe start with...

http://www.openspf.org/svn/project/specs/drafts/draft-kitterman-spf-tbd-00.xml

...as template.

Frank